Brunswick connection in new Covid outbreak
The Covid-positive person visited the Victoria Street futsal centre on Sunday morning
Monday, May 25, 2021
AN indoor soccer centre in Brunswick has had to close for deep cleaning after contact tracers identified a Covid positive person visited there in the weekend.
The Brunswick Futsal Stadium at 407 Victoria Street has confirmed that it has been identified as an exposure site as health authorities seek to determine the extent of a new mini-outbreak in the northern suburbs.
The Covid-positive person attended the stadium between 9am and 10am on Sunday, according to the Victorian Health Department.
The stadium is one of a growing list of 10 exposure sites named by the department as another four Covid positive people were discovered, all of them from the same family.
It is a tier 2 site, with advice that anyone who was also at the centre during that period should get tested urgently and self-isolate until they get a negative result.
In a statement on its Facebook page, stadium management confirmed it had been notified of the positive case visiting the centre on Sunday.
“All details regarding staff and customers in attendance will be passed on to DHHS and we are conducting a deep clean today,” it said.
“We have been told that once the deep clean is complete we can resume operating.
“Although it was a very small group, the recommendation from DHHS is: If you were at the stadium on Sunday morning from 9am to 10am or you are concerned please get yourself tested.
“Thank you for your support and we look forward to seeing you all smiling and enjoying your futsal.”
However, with Melbourne going into a limited lockdown from 6pm tonight which requires mask wearing indoors and restricts public gatherings to no more than 30 people, it is unclear when the centre will re-open.
Concerns about a new outbreak escalated on Friday when the Department of Health testing detected picked up traces of COVID-19 in wastewater around the Epping and Wollert area.
A full public health response and extensive contact tracing has now been launched after four moer people have tested positive.
The individuals are a male in their 30s, a male in their 70s, a woman in their 70s and a pre-school aged child. None are believed to live in the city of Moreland.
The cases are all family contacts, across three households and authorities are investigating whether they connected to a traveller who had returned from overseas and became infected while in hotel quarantine in Adelaide. That case was detected on May 10.
Anyone experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 — such as fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, chills or sweats, or change in sense of smell or taste — is advised to get a test immediately. A full list of testing sites is available here.
Want more stories like this? Click here to sign up to our mailing list to get the latest from Brunswick Voice delivered to you.