News / Crime

Two stabbed at Barkly Square

Police use Taser to subdue the alleged assailant after knife attack wounds two men

The Sydney Road entrance to Barkly Square.

Brunswick Voice
Monday, October 18, 2021

THREE people have been hospitalised after a seemingly random knife attack in the Barky Square shopping centre on Monday.

The shopping centre was closed and established as a crime scene after the incident at about 8am. Police had to use a Taser to subdue the alleged attacker.

Police say two men were allegedly stabbed, including a security guard, while a third man was arrested with self-inflicted knife injuries. All required treatment in hospital.

On Wednesday, police charged a 20-year-old Brunswick man with attempted murder, intentionally and recklessly causing serious injury, making threats to kill and theft.

He was expected to be remanded before the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court this afternoon.

The incident began in the Woolworths supermarket, according to witnesses.

Investigators believe the first victim, a 60-year-old Brunswick man, was standing in the checkout queue of a supermarket when he heard yelling behind him. He turned around and was allegedly stabbed in the upper body by a man who was in the queue.

The alleged offender than ran from the store, and was approached by a security guard responding to shouting from the supermarket. The security guard was also allegedly stabbed.

The alleged offender then entered an electronics store where attending police attempted to negotiate with him.

Critical Incident Response Team officers attended the scene and used a Taser to arrest a 20-year-old man.

The Brunswick man is currently in hospital with self-inflicted injuries. Both victims were also taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Police are not looking for anyone else in relation to the incident and say there is no threat to community safety.

A Woolworths spokesperson said no staff were injured and the store would be closed until further notice. Staff will be offered counselling services and the store will be deep cleansed before reopening.

“There is no place for violence like this anywhere in our community,” said Woolworths Supermarkets Victorian General Manager, Sarah Gooding.

“Our thoughts are with the man who was injured and his loved ones at this difficult time.

“The team reacted calmly to the incident in line with our established safety procedures, and we thank them for doing so in trying circumstances.”

In a statement posted to social media on Monday evening, the shopping centre’s management said it was “deeply saddened by this morning’s events and would like to extend our sympathies to those affected.

“The safety of our customers, retailers and staff is our priority and we will continue to work with Victoria Police in their investigations.”

Both the customer and the security guard are recovering well and the centre has beefed up security when it reopened on Tuesday.

Anyone who witnessed the incident is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential report online at

This story was updated on October 20 to take in new details.